Preserving the environment and working towards a more sustainable future have become increasingly important agenda items in the world today. Tourism has a significant impact on the world economy, local communities, and the environment. As a result, businesses and individuals are now thinking in more sustainable ways.
People concerned about being a responsible traveller act as a driving force behind this global effort towards sustainability, with their own actions and choices. Therefore, it is beneficial to be informed about the local practices and the sustainability efforts that are being made by the destination you are planning to visit.
Here are some ways you can stay informed and become a sustainable traveller:
- Minimise waste by using only what you need. Say no to plastic, as it is one of the biggest contributors to environmental pollution.
- Conserve the natural resources of the place you are visiting.
- Support the local economy by shopping at local stores and vendors.
- Make sure your actions are not adversely affecting the wildlife of the destination.
- Make better decisions on where to stay via Bookdifferent, a hotel booking site that shows you the eco-label of various destinations and hotels.
- Visit Verdict to stay on top of the latest news about travel destinations that are working on sustainable tourism.
Business travellers can also check out our responsible business travel guidelines to be better informed for your next trip.
Travelling is the best way to discover the world and fall in love with it. However, it is just as important that we work to develop a responsible and sustainable tourism industry to make sure what we love is preserved for future generations.