Sometimes, you just want to escape into the wild and break away from routine. Camping trips help to rejuvenate the soul and give you a fresh perspective on life. Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? Although, it would be a shame if your trip adversely affected the environment.
Here are some tips on how you can enjoy an eco-friendly camping experience:
- Reduce your carbon emission by carpooling to the camp site instead of arriving in separate vehicles.
- Bring reusable utensils, plates, and pack refillable water bottles. This is cost efficient and will minimise waste.
- Leave nothing but footprints and make sure to dispose of your garbage properly. Carry enough garbage bags and recycling bags. If there are no designated dumping bins, pack up the trash and don’t leave any behind.
- A cosy campfire to gather around and roast marshmallows over can be great, just make sure that your location doesn’t have a fire ban; if there isn’t one, then be sure to keep your fire under control.
- Never get too close to wild animals, don’t feed them either. Store your food and garbage securely so that animals can’t rummage through.
- Preserve the tranquillity of the environment, let nature’s sound carry on triumphantly.
- For washing and cleaning, use products that are less harmful for the environment. Try biodegradable soaps and check out these multipurpose alternatives. Just remember that no matter what the label, no soap/detergent etc. should be used directly in rivers or lakes. Use such products at least 200 feet away from any water source.
- Consider alternatives to toxic bug sprays. Read more about natural mosquito repellents.
- You can even try using a DIY natural sunscreen.
If you’re looking for a more glamorous camping experience, then perhaps glamping might be what you’re looking for. Either way, a break from a bustling life is just what the doctor ordered!