Sustainable practices not only help the environment and the community, but also help to cut down on cost. A little bit of effort and small investments can give long term benefits. Here are some tips to help you transform your guesthouse into a sustainable haven.
- Install LED lighting where possible. These are more energy efficient, safer, and last longer than regular bulbs.
- Use an outdoor clothes line to naturally dry linens.
- Use daylight to keep common areas well-lit for as long as possible.
- Utilise energy efficient appliances.
- Install low-pressure shower heads and high efficiency toilets.
- Plant flora that requires less water to flourish.
- Encourage guests to reuse towels and linens.
Invest in Green Products
- Utilise refillable shampoo, shower gel and lotion bottles.
- Switch to environmentally friendly cleaning products. They are less harmful for both humans and the environment.
- Use reusable cups instead of plastic ones. Say no to single use plastic bottles and opt for ones made of glass or ceramics.
- Use napkins instead of paper towels.
- Ditch plastic kitchenware for dishes and metal cutlery.
- Separate waste into categories upstream so it is easier to divert waste from landfill.
- Donate, compost, or reuse leftover food so that it does not go to waste.