Enjoy the summertime while practicing eco-friendly habits. A little goes a long way in terms of sustainability, and every bit of effort counts.
Here are seven tips to help you go green this summer:
- Stay hydrated by carrying your own refillable tumbler or water bottle. Refuse to use single use plastic bottles, cups and straws.
- Get a few indoor plants, they can act as natural air purifiers and will liven up your space.
- Save on your electricity bill by letting in natural daylight. Remember to turn off lights, fans and other electronic appliances when not in use. Switch to energy efficient LED light bulbs.
- Use eco-friendly deodorants to stay fresh this summer. They are better for your skin and, of course, the environment. If you can’t find them in the market, try this simple DIY.
- Prepare a hearty meal at home and avoid processed foods. This will minimize waste generation and will also be beneficial for your health.
- Ride your bicycle or walk to travel short distances. Use public transport to cover greater distance. If you can’t avoid driving, try staying within the speed limit, as this is more fuel efficient.
- Instead of using the dryer for clothes, let your laundry dry out in the summer sun.
- Shop for produce at local markets. This supports the economy and the community at large.
If you’re planning to go on holiday, try going green and help to preserve the beautiful destinations for generations to come.