International Women’s Day (IWD) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. This year, IWD is focusing on the theme, “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives.” Social media campaigns this year will be characterised by the hashtag #PressforProgress.
Here are some ways to make this year’s International Women’s Day a successful and fun event at work:
- Share stories about women in tourism by featuring female entrepreneurs and leaders in the travel industry via social media
- Take a picture of everyone wearing purple, the official IWD colour, and share on social media
- Fill the office with purple decorations; share photos on social media
- Have everyone share their ideas for #PressforProgress and share the top picks on social media
- Conduct a “Women in [name of your organisation]” portrait session. Set up a professional photoshoot session for women working at your organisaton
- Provide 30-minute massages for women in the office
- Have the male staff serve coffee and tea to female for the day
- Showcase your resolution to making a change and pressing for progress creatively by pressing lemons and adding the juice to butterfly pea flower tea which will change its colour from blue to purple – capture a video clip and share on social media
- Have all staff commit to an action and share the commitments
- Allow female staff to work 80% of a day, the equivalent of the pay gap
Let’s also think about the long-term impact we can have by making a pledge and celebrating International Women’s Day. Think about what you can do throughout the year to show your support and choose actions that matter.
Watch out for PATA’s social media activity this International Women’s Day and join in the celebration of women in our industry.